Monday, March 05, 2007

Chain mail for God.

We as humans are so alike in so many ways; we are all trying to survive to some end. All of us have some sort of desperation, an idea we cling to, just to make it through. For some its work, others family, religion, music, books, food, even death, there’s a spark of an idea in everyone. A desperation. And on that note, there are products and materials in this world for every desperation, to appeal to each person and their cravings or desires.

So yesterday I received a letter in the mail to appeal to the desperation of life and financial need.

Another credit card offer anyone?

Imagine my confusion as I pull out a beige and pink piece of paper made to look like it was embroidered. Embroidered stationary? I thought. Then I found as I unfolded several pictures of Anglo-Saxon Jesus, that it was meant to be a prayer handkerchief, which you were to place your name and a name of someone you want to pray for on the handkerchief and send it back to the church it originated. Which I'm all for people praying for me.

What I’m not for as I read on, was the testimonials of people, like O.C. and Anonymous, who sent it back and received large amounts of financial blessings, all attributed to this pink hanky. What would make me want to send it back and add yet another name to their list? The money! Forget prayer. Oh, I’m glad we have that cleared up.

Money: the Deity of Desperation.

As if that weren’t good enough. Enclosed is the sealed magic prophesies that you aren't suppose to open until you send off the handkerchief back to the church, within days of receiving the letter, that is specifically written for you.

I confess, I can’t help but open forbidden prophesies.

I just can’t imagine a church believing, trying to get people to believe in this idea of magic and charm of what seems like a jaded Christianity to me. People see this kind of letter and think, what are those stupid Christians doing this time, as if we are all the same? How far from Christ do we have to get to get people to believe in Him? Does this church not believe that the Bible is full of prophecy? It’s completely and fully open to everyone, not hidden just for Christians to read! How many Christians do YOU see hiding in corners and reading their "Magic" bibles? The point is it’s not magic, it doesn’t change, doesn’t need to be printed on pink embroidered handkerchiefs.

I just feel this plays on human desperation and that actually makes me pretty angry. Makes me almost want to drive out to Oklahoma or wherever they sent this from to tell them how a chain letter full of prophecies isn't really the way to go.

I'm thinking about sending it back. Free postage.

No comments: