Thursday, March 15, 2007

Georgia

So I decided on a whim that I was driving with the girls for a weekend in Georgia. I have some relatives there that I haven't seen since I got married, and I knew they would be excited to see the girls. And they were.

I also found out a lot about my dad's side of the family and got some photos of him when he was younger that I value very much. I don't have much of my dad's things, so I really enjoy the things that I have that were once his.

Plus I got to soak in the Georgia weather, and come back to an equally beautiful day here in Michigan. That was awesome.

The girls were fun traveling companions, although I was worn out when I got back. They are a lot of work, but those amazing times when the wonder and awe of a different world reaches their eyes. Priceless. Laurel was amazed with the mountains, we first encountered the mountains at night, so I told her that the rock face on either side was just a small part of the mountain, she couldn't comprehend how huge they really are until we saw them on the way back. Then the amazement really set in.

We went through Chattanooga at night time, and if you ever go, go on I-24 from the North to the South. It goes around Chattanooga and night seems so black, until it opens up suddenly to the twinkling lights of the city, cascading up the mountainside. It is truly amazing to see the city lights and know just how many people are living in one area. I could imagine the horror that people felt in ancient times when invading armies of thousands upon thousands start to crawl down the mountain each with a torch in their hand. It was an awestruck kind of a moment.

The girls and I had an impromptu picnic on the way back through Kentucky. Cassie was having a meltdown, and it was about time to stop anyways. I had packed food for the trip, so we wouldn't have to stop fast food style. So I grabbed out the plates and cups and we sat on the lawn of a hotel part way up the mountainside. The girls had a lot of fun and it seemed to be perfect timing; since we made really good time after that.

So now I'm planning a trip with my mom for a weekend, not sure where or when yet.

No comments: