Friday, July 28, 2006

Relationships

I just received an email from a friend that I lost contact with for a while. She was one of my best friends in high school, but as we moved away from the area, we kept very loose contact with each other, sending emails every once in a great while.

However, she is going through a rough time in her life. Which made me wonder... What other reasons are we here on this earth if we aren't here for our relationships???

Everything we are made up of are because of relationships. They are so important. Everywhere you go is composed of people you know, your workplace, your church, your family, your school, even your local Chinese restaurant, all based on our need and natural inclination to build relationships.

I always wonder if I am being a good friend to my friends. If I am able to give them what they need out of our relationship. Right now, I feel like I'm a failure at relationships. I feel like I could have done something to help my friend out, I could have been there for her but then I stop and think; well, God put me here to be her friend now, not when I felt she needed me most. There must be a reason.

And God severely wants a relationship with us. He wouldn't of sent Jesus, if he still wanted meaningless sacrifices on altars and ritualized prayers. He sent Jesus so he could have a relationship with us. I know it sounds really ridiculous, but it reminds me of puppy love that couples get when they first date. They turn a blind eye to each others faults and while it's not a good thing sometimes, I think God is like that. He has a blind eye for us, because Jesus came and took away all of our faults. Our mistakes. So he could have a clearer relationship with us, without looking at all that is wrong with us. I think that's pretty cool.

I wish it were so easy with my friends here on earth. I desire to be a better friend to them. Even if I'm hundreds of miles away from each one, I want to know that they are okay, and still here.

So within the next few days I'm going to visit my friend who sorely needs help right now. That's stepping out of the box for me. She lives a few hours from me and I know (somehow) it's just one of those things I need to do.

No comments: