Thursday, August 03, 2006

NLT

You know how you want something, and you're just not willing to pay the price? You think, do I really need this? And if you have time, you go by the store and visit your item several times before you justify the cost. Sometimes you get lucky and the item goes on sale. Or you can order it for a lower price online. Then there's those times in the unfortunate event that the item you desire just goes out of stock.

Mine was a New Living Translation Bible with a study guide at the bottom. Besides the fact that I have been struggling with the set-up of my own NIV for quite some time, I couldn't justify paying a pretty penny for a new translation. I kept thinking, what about all the people who are poorer than I am, who can't even think about spending that much on bible? There has got to be some way to get a good version with study guides or devotionals, anything to help each person out there. And I'm not saying just the NLT, I'm saying whatever version is best for each individual. Whether it be NIV, NLT, KJV, New Jerusalem, or whatnot. Whatever the cost. I'm sure there are foundations out there doing this for other people, how many people are going to ask for a free NLT because they can't afford one????

So as I shelled out the dough for this bible, I avoided looking the cashier in the eyes because there was guilt in my extravagant purchase. Yes, it is true there were much prettier bibles in the store that I would have loved to use, payed double the price, and added all the bible accessories (the bible bag, the nice pen, the amazing Jesus notebook to fit in the bible bag). It just happened to be the first bible I've ever bought for myself.

So think about that, in the 5 maybe 6 versions I have, this is the first I've bought. If I paid for all the bibles I have, I could have paid off a credit card. I would have been going into bible debt. And until you actually go out and buy a bible, you think, 'yay, they gave me a free bible, now what?' Let's think about that for a second... They gave me a FREE bible. All those people who gave me a bible for free, weren't from some foundation or organization. They were my friends and my relatives.

All paying their pretty pennies so that I could have a version that I could easily understand and finally get the message.

For free.

2 comments:

R. Mansfield said...

I feel your guilt. I've got enough Bibles to open my own store. One thing I try to do is when buying an extra Bible, to always get a hardback.

Second, you can get lots of Bibles at Bible.com which is run from the American Bible Society. You will know that any profits they make will go to the whole translation process for people in countries who don't have Bibles at all.

There prices are very good too. Here is the page for the NLT:

http://www.bibles.com/Templates/ProductList_Bibles.aspx?Catalog=ABS_NEW&Category=Bibles_English

Mel said...

I did have a chance this weekend to check out Bibles.com, however, I wasn't able to find the bible with everything I wanted. But if I need another translation, I will definately go there first. That is really neat that the profits go toward translations for other countries. Makes me feel that much better that there are awesome people out there, trying to get the Word out to everyone. Really cool.