Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The amazing stuff that happens

I ran out on the road today, because I have been feeling tortured on the treadmill this week. So I went out, and ran all the way to the highway, and as I came back I heard this thump thump thump... I wasn't scared or anything, but I stopped and watched seven deer cross right in front of me. If I had been in a car I'm sure I wouldn't of seen them and totaled out the car. The amazing part was the sound. I could hear the hooves hit the pavement! And you could hear them running in the fields. You really don't think about it much when you're sitting in your car; what they actually sound like when they run. I knew they had hooves and everything, just never gave it a thought. I was only ten feet away from them, if that.

I am still so excited about my piano being tuned. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I thought it had been tuned a little over a year ago, when in fact it has been almost three years tomorrow. Yes, it was time. I knew it really needed to be done, but money and all that...

Just a few days ago, we got really flooded. So we do what we usually do, which is watch how much water we use, and sometimes if the water is there long enough, we go elsewhere to take showers. Anyways, everything melted here, and the weirdest thing happened this year. The driveway seemed to have caved in, and left this huge gorge through the middle of it. Which actually Josh and I totally understood after watching this really cool documentary on the Scablands.... but that is beside the point. So we spend Sunday evening, fixing what we could of the driveway, Josh build a dam out of bricks, and mom and I shoveled gravel to even out as much of the driveway as we could until we can get more gravel in here to fill in the large crevice. Seriously we have a hole that is almost waist deep. So we have lovely cones that are cautioning any truck drivers (UPS FedEx DHL etc... we always have trucks coming in and out of here) basically to stay out of our driveway, or the gorge will suck you in. It's amazing.

In all of this I'm not even angry or frustrated. I know we will be able to fix it, and it's something we can handle. If this would have happened a few months ago, I probably would have freaked out.

I really should go take pictures of what's left of it. For memories.

That and I thought it was the first of the month today. There is just something about starting a new month that is fun and exciting. And we get our paycheck on the first, so you can imagine my disappointment when I found out it was only January 31st. Come on. Can't they have all twelve months be the same length???

No comments: