Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Afternoon Delight - Tea, I mean

So I am absolutely thrilled that my oldest daughter loves tea. She requests for a cup of tea.

Josh calls me British because I like to dunk my tea bag in hot water 3 to 5 times until my tea turns a satisfying light brown color. (Or should I say, colour???) Which, as much as he mocks my British dipping, works for him because he uses the second half of my tea bag and stains it so dark that basically you could mistake it for coffee.

Maybe I got my style from England. I figured that if I was going to try tea anywhere it might as well be in the United Kingdom. I remember standing in front of the mirror of a dresser in a bed and breakfast on my first morning in England. I was looking at the coffee decanter in distaste, and I noticed a small plate with two packages of coffee grounds, and a tea bag sitting on it displayed very nicely with two dainty tea cups that I could only imagine would be in England. I thought, contemplatively 'Hmm, never tried tea before,' as I found myself dunking my tea bag in hot water to a very light, could have been mistaken for the last leftover coffee rinse, kind of tea color. Despite the too light of flavor for my taste I found that I really liked it and perfected my dunking skills while I was in the UK. Now it's really more of a religion. I think I drink tea more often than I pray. Bow to the hot water and kiss the tea bag.

Lately I've grown quite attached to Dragon Eye Oolong Tea. And I only tried it because of it's name. This year, I also had to start drinking decaf after years of not having a problem. You know, because of the strange thing called, youth. It naturally follows my stretch marks, and more recent face lines that I found just this week. I must smile too much. Oh well, I wasn't a porcelain doll anyways.

And truth be told, I give Laurel decaf. I can't stand the thought of giving her caffeinated tea before bed, despite the fact that her body probably could sleep just as well if I did. She'll thank me in 20 years (when she gets face lines) that I was nice enough to introduce her to the magical world of tea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) people who smile more live longer, plus smiling is infectious and once one person does it everyone starts doing it. You're such a trend setter you smiler you.

2) tea is the best thing in the world and dunking is fun.

3) see you next week thursday where i assure you there will be tea dunking going on.