Thursday, February 16, 2006

Cassie 0 - Lazy Susan 1

Okay so I didn't run today, (we had a massive snow pile-up outside) but I'm writing anyways simply because Cassie has out-done herself.

I was cooking lunch (yes cooking, boiling water, cutting up veggies, I can do that.) and Cassie was playing around my feet in the kitchen. She decides that the lazy susan we have is really fun, it's this cabinet that spins around so you can access more stuff in really short order. When you spin the lazy susan, the front goes around in the circle with the rest of the cabinet, however, Cassie squeezed herself between the two slats of the wooden front and proceeded to turn around the circle like all the other stuff does. But lazy susans don't like babies, so she got stuck with her knees in her face, half crouched over. It was dark I imagine, and Cassie was trying to continue around the circle the regular way, and started to scream when she realized that she couldn't see anything.

When I figured out what she had done, I started to unload the lazy susan, and realized that did me no good, since Cassie was on the other side of the wood (yes, catastrophe blonde moment). So I pulled on the slats, while she was still pushing the other way. Until I cried out for God to help me, and somehow got her totally unbalanced (so she wasn't pushing anymore), I finally managed to pull her out the way she came. I'm still shaking.

Not that it really terrified me, but I was thinking (while I was pulling) about how we'd have to cut the cabinet (I didn't want to cut it!) and make sure her fingers were no where near the blade of the saw, so we could get her out. Then I started to look at how to disassemble the unit itself. (Yes I'm an extremist, I have to get the crazier ideas out of the way before I start to think rationally. All the while she's screaming in terror... I'm sure she'll have nightmares for weeks.)

I couldn't decide whether I needed to laugh or cry, simply because I knew it was one of those moments that you laugh about later, but it isn't terribly funny at the time. So at first I had several of those hiccuping cry-out laughs (as I tried to laugh) and finally the tears started streaming down my face as I held onto Cassie in a tight embrace. She kept looking up at me almost like she was thinking, Why are you crying, you weren't the one stuck in there. It was obvious she was immensely confused.

After I pretty much stopped crying and shaking I asked her if she wanted to get in there again. She promptly told me no, and backed away. Big surprise.

No comments: