Wednesday, February 15, 2006

False deer sightings

You know, I only seem to write when I run on the road. Makes it extremely coincidental, don't you think?

I realized after several walks home that I was totally wrong about the last deer in the field. It was just one huge bush, and although I haven't walked up to verify it, it appears in the same spot every day, even when I check it later in the day. Somehow I don't think a deer could stand there that long.

So if I see any other false deer sightings I'll let you know.

But I did see another deer down the road running away from me and a rabbit....I'm sure of these two, since I was only ten feet away from them.

Anyways.

I hate being confronted. I'm the loser mom that forgets to pick up valentines so that they can hand them out at preschool. In reality, I don't think Laurel even cared, she was so excited to get candy and show me her paper heart that she made. It totally flew over her head that I'm an idiot. Yeah I think I'm going to put that to lyrics somewhere, immoralize it in song. Anyways, the confrontation. Her teacher asked me point blank if Laurel had valentines, let me tell you, embarrassing in front of the other parents. I know I'm dumb, but now we just added to insult here.

Then we got home, and I started to look at the valentines Laurel got. What happened to just getting cardboard valentines and leaving it at that? No, somewhere along the line parents decided to spend a fortune on candy and pencils to give away. And these are supposed to be low income families with several kids!!!! Did they do this for each kid? It's no wonder that they can't make it from paycheck to paycheck. They spend it all on holiday candy and gifts.

That totally confused my morality.

I understand the willingness to give. But I think the money could so be used for better reasons. I think every time I even thing about buying excessive amounts of holiday cheer I'm going to take that money and donate it to charity. Or better yet, when I decide to buy it I'll double my efforts and donate the same exact amount to a good cause. (Maybe I'll think twice....as if I don't already....so I'll think quadruple or something.)

Looks like another rant has surfaced.

It's been interesting. Josh and I have been going to bible study, (that's sunday nights at 6ish, every other week.) and it's really cool to hear other people's thoughts on the same passage. People come up with stuff that Josh and I never even touch, so we end up talking about it on the way home which is usually a good half an hour drive. You know how I decided to not talk as much, well I threw that out the window last sunday. Not that I being obnoxious or anything, but this week there was only one person who didn't contribute to the discussion! Now how is that for discussion? That's beyond the odds. Trust me, Josh and I counted it up, this is how big of dorks we are.

Plus the discussion was probably a thousand times better this week, than even the last two, which is something in itself. The first week is always rough, and until you get halfway comfortable... I'm probably overanalizing it. Anyways. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! don't feel bad about Valentines. I have been giving people left over valentines for the past 3 years. heck i still had some i had from FIRST GRADE that i finally gave away yesterday. kind of sad but hey why spend 6 dollars when you have all those others ones around. and like you said they are in preschool i don't remeber doing valentines in preschool so hey who cares. i don;t get the pencils thing though that is expensive. well, talk to you later and it sounds like bible study is going well. hugs to all.