Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Encouragement

I can never find the right words to say when I want to encourage someone. I remember specifically when my sister-in-law was getting married, you know what I told her? "Don't worry, you're not going to fall down the aisle."

What kind of loving advice is that???

What I meant is that if you think that you aren't going to fall, most likely you aren't going to. She is a perfectionist of sorts, (so I thought at the time) and I knew she was worried about having the perfect wedding. Like most brides do.

When I believe something is good I tend to sit back and nod my head in approval, a lot like my father-in-law and say, "This is good." I feel when it comes to words, if I don't feel true about something I don't say it. However I don't say enough sometimes.

I bought a CD this week that I was disappointed with at first. It's kind of British folk with a tint of rock. But their rock is played by Celtic instruments, (not a full and rounded sound, you know?) The real reason I got the CD is because of the lyrics, not exactly the musical quality. This guy is an amazing lyricist. He knows just exactly how to place words into a song that makes it both musical and shocking almost. All he needs now is a good arranger. Someone who can fill out his song, make them feel like there is a climax; his story-like quality is all there.

Anyways so I listened to the first half Sunday, and yesterday I got into the second half and found a treasure of a song. It was arranged by someone else while he did the lyrics. Perfect. Too bad the lyricist is now doing solo work, because this guy knew how to put it together.

Who am I criticize? It's not like I'm some professional songwriter or anything, I just know what I like, or let me rephrase that. Even if I don't like it, I know when it feels like a song. There is just a point when a melody or idea becomes a song.

For me it's hard to hit a melody line, and write words to it. I can get a good bass going, and eventually the melody comes eeking out after I've tortured it from the bass line, you know? Words come easier once I have a handle on what I want to write for that song. I have so many ideas, it's hard to discard some, I want to write so many different topics for the same melody. It's just crazy.

Enough music talk. Anyways the only reason I came up with that, is because I was thinking about how to encourage someone (back to my first point) about their music (Which music itself is so important to me. It means something and is so close to my heart, actually almost too close, like it gives me reason for once to allow myself to feel something), but I can't find the right words, so I haven't said anything. I know God will take care of whatever I want to say, if (BIG if) I'm suppose to be saying it. I'm curious if I am just scared of what the reaction is going to be if I do say anything. I'm not sure if I am. I think I have the guts, I just don't know if I want to open that door just yet, if there is even any door to open. Does that make sense? I know the opportunities are there that I don't have the time or courage to get into.

Yet.

Maybe I'll grow up first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, i hope you give me that advice when I get married cause you know that is what i am afraid is going to happen so if you say don't worry then hey i won't. and if i do fall i will blame you for cursing me. ok so that last part was a joke. hehe. talk to you later.