Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I get cake

We sort of surprised Josh for his birthday. Well, he knew he was getting a cake, but he didn't know I was going to surprise him with it while we were at his brothers house. Come to think of it, his brother didn't know either. Actually, I didn't know that I was going to surprise him at his brothers house. I surprise myself all the time. Or rather, do a lot of things, spontaneously.

I asked him earlier what kind of cake he'd like and told him I was planning on buying one (I'm really not a cake baking type... In fact I'm really not the celebrating birthdays or holidays type either). Mom and I figured we would just celebrate when Josh got out of work. However I forgot we were going to look at houses last night, so it really wasn't feasible to have a party here.

So I baked a cake.

And then had to decide whether I should surprise him at work or surprise him at his brother's house. It just seem to work out better that I waited until after we looked at the houses and went to pick up the girls. The girls kept asking, "Mom? Can I have some cake?" "You have to wait for Daddy to get some cake." "Are we eating cake now?" "No, Dad is not here." "Who's birthday is it, oh yeah, it's Daddy's. I get cake."

Josh had to pick up his car from work after looking at houses, so I had a little time to rush over to Barn's and light the candles. However, do you know how long it takes to set up and light 27 candles? I realized that the lid of the dish had stolen frosting off the top of the cake, so I had to refrost it. Then I counted out the 27 candles. Josh pulled into the driveway at this time so Melissa sent Barney out to distract Josh, while Laurel, Dar and I set up the rest of the cake. Laurel and Dar were chirping about it being Daddy's birthday and we were surprising him with a cake. After I shushed them, I told them it was a secret and they were not allowed to run to the door and let Josh know of our surprise. By the time I got that concept across, we finished putting the candles in the cake. I had half of the candles lit when I realized the first few candles had started to tip over into the cake. 5 matches later, I told the girls to tell Josh to come inside. "Come in Daddy! Come in!" The girls beckoned. He walks in the door and the first thing he says is....

I smell candles.

27 candles abstractly placed on homemade chocolate cake, with us crooning the usual Happy Birthday tune. Nothing spectacular nor slightly out of the ordinary. But the girls, all the same, were so excited to be a part of the birthday surprise.

They just wanted cake.

No comments: