Friday, October 06, 2006

Fantasy Football

The thing about fantasy football is that the guys watch more football than just their team. Take for instance, they have a guy on their fantasy football team on the Packers, it's not that they like the Packers, but they have one guy that they watch the entire game to see how many points he racks up.

Usually this is while they are logged into their fantasy site and watch as the statistics roll. They have to see it when the numbers go up on their site.

Josh happens to be in first place right now. Which is all and great. But whether he is in first or 10th, I still find out more about football than I ever knew about.

I'm one of those girls who understand what guys are talking about when they talk sports. I really don't mind that Josh is into football. I'm being honest here. It gives him something to do and think about besides the usual daily things. He never had a hobby until he got into football. And although he can go overboard on all that happened in one day (as in anything), if I feel I can't give my full attention to him and his sports, I tell him. That's what marriage is about.

Can we not talk about football for the rest of the day?

Okay but this one last thing before we're done...

Okay, (as if it's a treat to tell me one more thing before we're done talking about it)

Seriously, get serious about communication in your relationships, especially if you're married.

I had an interesting thing happen in the last few days. Josh and I happen to have good communication skills. If he is talking too much and interrupts me, I tell him. Same goes for me, if I'm being stubborn about something, he tells me. We just communicate really well.

In the last week I've had several instances where people are questioning our ability to communicate, stating that Josh always has the upper hand in the relationship. Which is not true. Although I'd like to say I have supreme authority in our marriage, I have just as much say in what goes on in our lives. Sometimes though, I give up my rights because Josh may be better in one area that I am weak in. Or visa versa. Such as the girls and their education. I make sure they are learning what they need to and put into action. Josh takes on the school itself. He's the one who gets involved with the school (PTAs) and communicates and works out any problems with teachers or other bodies of people. That's because his strong suit is communication and the ability to get things done. My strong suit is to encourage and re-enforce or correct ideas learned while they are out of my reach.

Marriage is like that. Josh and I usually have talked out situations and problems way before they even happen. We're planners. And in the rare occasion the issue hasn't come up, we talk about it later. Usually Josh takes over and I listen to the background noise, watch body language and observe.

Josh is definitely the talker between the two of us. I am just not good at communicating what I mean, when I'm talking with other people. And Josh knows that. Usually we agree on things.

Although it may not seem like it, there really is an obtainable goal of awesome communication between a man and his wife. One of the major keys to a marriage is honesty, hasn't that been beaten into the ground? But it's true. The second, is being available to give your spouse your full attention to what's important to them and talking out issues as they arise.

So when I ask, can we be done talking about football? It's letting him know that I would be disrespecting him by tuning him out because I just don't have the will to listen anymore. It's that simple.

No comments: