Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Subway Guy

While I run I always think of stories in my life that have happened, but then I get home and it seems like they have all washed out of my head. I turn on the mom mode when I walk through my front door. How convenient is that.

I didn't say anything about the subway guy. Three weeks ago we went to our bible study as usual. We got out and decided to do a subway run, and knowing they run their ever so thrifty special of 2 footlong subs for 8.99. (Josh always gets the most expensive, while mine is the cheapest, it works out for us) Anyways, so we walk in and there is a couple in front of us. The guy behind the counter is chatting away, like he knows them.

So Josh and I start talking about the study, while they finish up their order. When it's our turn the guy asks what we want and then proceeds to tell us about how on his days off he can never get enough done, like laundry. We laughed and told him we had just gotten ours done, and have this elongated conversation over laundry. Which, whatever, it's conversation, small talk. But this guy just has something about him. I watch him as he greets the next two people who come in the door, a woman and a cop, and the subway guy acts as if he already knows both these guys. Okay, I think, they're regulars.

We go to leave and Subway guy says God Bless. Who says God Bless anymore? Except older guys you know? This guy is maybe 30 at the most.

So I was idly curious about this guy, very friendly one-of-a-kind guy.

So two weeks later, I say, Hey Josh, let's go to subway after study.

We go back and sure enough, the guy is there and he remembers who we are. Seriously. Photogenic memory. Friendliest guy you could ever meet.

And that is the only reason we frequent Subway on Saginaw. Okay and the subs, but you know...

No comments: