Monday, May 08, 2006

Improv

Josh decided that we needed to get my sister-in-law out of the house. She's pregnant for her first child and past her due date, and if anyone knows about pregnancy, that's seriously a bad thing.

So we picked them up on Sunday to go on a picnic. It was a beautiful day. The sun was out, wind blowing, it was an amazing day to be at a park where the kids were playing while we talked. Laurel comes over to the table and says she has to go to the bathroom. Alright, I'll take you, I say. So we go to where the bathrooms are and the building is locked. "It's locked. Do you think you can hold it until we leave?" "Sure." Five minutes later, Laurel runs up and says, I have to go to the bathroom. "Well, there is a building over there, maybe they'll have a bathroom." We walk over to find the building is a concession stand, and it's packed with people who look strangely alike. Family Reunion. No bathrooms. "I don't know what to tell you. I guess we'll have to drive somewhere for a bathroom."

But it was too late, we didn't even make it to the van and she let it all out, soaking the bottom half of her body. The poor kid was devastated. So my sister-in-law and I took her over to the van to look at our options of clothes and whatnot. Nothing. No extra pants, dresses, or even towels. I knew we had diapers so at least the important parts of her body would be covered and plenty of wipes to clean up the disaster area. I couldn't decide whether to be angry or compassionate. I don't think either came across, although I felt bad for Laurel, I thought a perfect day had been ruined because I didn't think to ask her before we went. So my sister-in-law decided that her and Laurel would camp out in the van while I got to eat the rest of my lunch and clean up the table. That's how sweet my sister-in-law is. I don't know how she does it.

Defeated, I went back to the table, and told the guys we couldn't find any pants for Laurel. "All she has is two shirts.... oh! Two shirts!" I said again. I gave an impish grin and turned to go back to the van. "We can use the second shirt as a skirt." My sister-in-law laughed and said, "I'm really learning a lot (about parenting) today."

Laurel had the time of her life on the playground, parading around in a diaper and a shirt for a skirt. She looked surprisingly cute. It reminded me of Sound of Music when Maria makes clothes out of curtains for the kids to play in. I finally understand her excitment and joy. I have never been so relieved that what was a disaster, worked out so well.

No comments: