Thursday, May 18, 2006

Magic Eraser's Are Magic!

I bought a 4 pack of magic erasers. When I got home I put away all my groceries, then thought about the table where one of the girls had accidentally gotten some marker on the table. Thinking of the erasers, I pull them out, and open the box.

However.

The box was empty. I think I stood there in shock for at least a minute, just staring at the box. The erasers were magic alright, they managed to do a disappearing act. So I called the store and they exchanged them no problem. But it sure got a good laugh when I came in.

"So...you bought a box huh?"

You have to understand I have never stolen anything in my life. The closest I came to stealing something was when I was a kid and we used to pick the fake flowers off the floors that had fallen off in craft stores. But we didn't know any better, I was only 4 years old at the most. My dad found out that my brother and I had been doing it, and he took us right to the cashier to show what we had done. The cashier was like, "Oh it's okay, they can have them" My dad said, "No, they can't." "Really, it's okay, they can have them." But my dad firmly said it again, "No, they can't."

Or the time that Dar was riding in the stroller and swiped a flashlight off a shelf and I didn't know it. When we got outside, she wanted to open it, and then I realized what she had done. We marched right back into the store and gave it to the cashier.

So to open an empty box, I thought of a thousand horrible things they could have thought about me. That I had taken out the erasers and returned the box to get more for free. Or used them up in a time span of 2 hours (seriously not possible unless you have 4 people cleaning like mad at one time.) No one was there to witness me opening the box. I didn't take pictures or anything. I thought, "How am I suppose to prove I opened an empty box???" I figured I had thought of all the things I would never consider doing in my lifetime. Things I don't do simply because it is wrong. I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to that. I like to call it integrity and honesty.

And if I was really wanted to steal something, I wouldn't steal a box of magic erasers for $3.42.

No comments: