Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Isaiah 55:11

One of the pastors at our church started a proverbs series. We read a chapter of proverbs a day, and then he posts on his site his thoughts. Then we can make comments, etc. Well, the word never returns void, huh?

My husband has a candle business on the side. Josh recently started a new job, but in the process of getting his licenses updated, he is working temporarily until April, so we get a paycheck. So we are very busy. He let the candle company know he was going to be busy, so they would understand that he couldn't take on a lot, but he would free up in April.

They sent an email on Thursday, which he neglected to reply to. So they sent another email yesterday, not as nice as the first one. So Josh was a little upset.

I proceeded to tell him how I saw the situation, and he got terribly defensive. So I backed out, walked away, and said, okay if you don't want to listen to me, and get defensive, then I won't say anything.

He must of thought on this for 5 minutes or so. Then came out to the kitchen. "Honey?"he said,"I'm sorry I wasn't listening to what you said and I was being stubborn about it. I want to hear what you have to say about this..... Have at it."

Thankfully I didn't sputter or faint, and told him what I saw, "They weren't so happy a month ago when you told them you took on 2 jobs and would try to do as much as possible, but they had to be patient. They wrote you Thursday for an update, and today they wrote a more threatening note because you didn't respond."

He nodded, then said, "I should call to apologize."

"Tonight?" I said almost in shock.

"Yes. I might as well do it tonight."

After he got off the phone, he said he didn't realize he was doing such a poor job communicating.

Given that a year ago, Josh wouldn't have stopped to think maybe he was the wrong one, much less apologize for it. He wouldn't have called to say he was wrong or that he should have done better. In fact, a year ago, he would have been yelling and throwing an adult temper tantrum, that would have lasted throughout the night. And everyone would have been miserable. He would have been at odds with the candle company because he wouldn't have taken the time to solve it. This, my friends, is a changed man. One who has been in the Word each night. Whom I proudly call my husband.

Yes, I think he may be learning more from this proverb series than I am. I'd like to say I had all the wisdom in the world, but God hasn't allowed me that yet. How many times in the last week has he stopped himself? I'm almost certain its been countless. What a blessing.

No comments: