Friday, February 18, 2005

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good , pleasing and perfect will.

Seems so easy right? Don't become like the world, and you will know and approve of Gods will. Then again.... What does it mean to conform any longer to the pattern of the world? Does it really matter what the world thinks of you? With my kids, I find my way of raising them is different than the world today. When my husband and I decided to have kids, we knew right away that I was going to be a stay at home mom. There was no doubt in our minds of this. However in this day and age, being a stay at home mom is frowned upon. That second income (ie money) rules more than the future of our children! Now there are exceptions to the rule, single parents have no choice but to work, or one spouse isn't physically able to work. I know this, but I refuse to believe that with two people in a marriage, you can't take the time to stay at home, even just for those first few essential years before they are in school. I have dreams too, and they certainly weren't to be a mom all my life. I fought God long and hard because I wanted to be myself, and not lost in my kids. And I really think that God accomplished much more in me because I gave in to Him. I know I can suffer my career for my kids and in return, remember I was the one who raised them to do good in this world, which by the way is a rarity. Do we as a society know how important it is to teach our children how to act and not conform them to our schedule? Kids don't understand how to grow, they learn to adapt to the situation. I'd rather my kids situation be in love, and learn the basic values to be strong with their faith, before I head them off to school. It is a struggle to stay home, juggle your household on one income, try not to go crazy with the kids, and know that God will provide your every need. I know, I live it every day. And I trust in the reassurance of God. He has always brought us through.

So don't conform to the world? Take a good look at what the world says, and then take a better look at what the bible says. I think the answer is pretty obvious, not easy, but obvious.

And you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments: