Monday, February 21, 2005

Perseverance

I guess this goes with the Don't conform to the pattern of this world thing.

My in-laws have been bugging me about my middle daughter and that her birthday was coming up. Now you have to understand. Their idea of birthdays is celebrating all day long, visiting each restaurant to get the freebies, and having the whole family over, for cake and ice cream and tons of presents.

However, my daughter is a loner.

So, everytime we do something big, she runs off and plays by herself, to get away from the commotion. If you bring her back out to enjoy the "fun," she cries and gets really cranky. I knew this wasn't going to work.

So at first I avoided the issue.

Then I made excuses, oh I guess I haven't thought about it.

Then I said, with all honesty, "You know? I feel it isn't the way to go. Adara doesn't like big celebrations."

My husband got really angry at me. My mom kept trying to get cupcakes and candles and all the extras. My in-laws figured I really hated them, and was trying to keep the kids away from them. I had caused an instant revolt.

So yesterday came, my daughters 2nd birthday. We woke up with the kids and started to sing with them. We ate breakfast, and then decided to open presents. We brought out two regular candles for her blow out. She was so excited about the flames she tried to touch it and I neatly blew it out before her nimble fingers reached it. She opened the first one and we got her a movie I knew she would like. Then the big present from Grandma, (my mother) she opened it, and surprise! It was an elmo, my mom had watched and waited for a sale on, that did the YMCA elmo style. She let out a squeal and hugged the poor monster senseless.
Posted by Hello

We called up Josh's parents and went over to see them. They pulled out their presents as well and we ended up having eggs and sausage, for lunch, with brownies as the cake. When we packed up to go home, I knew I had done the right thing. Adara was so pleased with the day, she hadn't thrown a temper tantrum, cried, or screamed. She didn't take a nap. She was the happiest kid alive, all because I went with my intuition and kept her day low-key. She didn't even go to bed with a fuss. Now thats a happy kid.

I think the toughest part of it all was the fact everyone had turned their back on my decision. And I think if I didn't feel so strongly, I would have given up to it. But I persevered, and kept going because I knew Adara wasn't much for parties. I had to fine tune to my child's needs. Even though at the begining I did the wrong thing, I ended up doing what was right, by being honest and standing firm.

How many times have I fallen short? Many. But I am human. I think I finally learned my lesson God has been so teaching me. To persevere, to stand for what you believe in, and be honest the first time, no matter what the cost. Hopefully next week, my family will like me again....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you!!! Go Mel Mel!!

A good Mom knows her child and tries to please them. It is a selfless Mom who would risk a few ruffled feathers to make her child happy. The feathers smooth down in time, and they will learn to respect you or they'll get ruffled again. OH WELL!!!