Friday, August 12, 2005

Well that was random

Laurel was sick tonight, we'll check it out in the morning to see if she can go to the parade tomorrow. Bummer if she can't! You can tell when Laurel is sick, because she starts crying when her stomach is off, and instantly wants to cuddle. Which is a sure sign of get to the bathroom, quick.

Life is so weird. It seems like everything is going great, and I am waiting for a huge screw up to happen so I can act. Maybe that is just my instincts after living most of my life, jumping from situation to situation, barely making it through. But I get through. I know that God will get me through. That I have no doubt in.

And maybe that is why I make it through. Barely, but probably because God gives me just what I can handle and once I digest that concept, he moves me onto something new. Barely getting me through that as well, just because of my stubborn will, most likely. Usually is.

Can you imagine what responsibility a saint has. Not only do you have to be good 24/7 but you have to prove it to other people. And be humble about it as well. I know...cynical thinking, I just can't fathom what an awesome person you would have to be in order to be deemed a saint. In reality, it's just a human title; what men (really, clergy) decide who is to be saintly. I'm curious if God has rejected earthly saints before. Just a random thought, I suppose. It's mostly a Catholic concept anyways, sainthood.

I've been listening to songs and thinking about lyrics, how people decide to form an idea, and mold it so it will make some sense. Unless they are totally high on drugs, (Yellow Submarine, hello) it just makes me wonder what was going through the lyricist head to make them write it down. Were they just trying to get some words out, to finish their last song for an album, or did they really believe their words? Do they hate their own songs, or are they obsessive about the song they've created? I guess that could go for any art form, poems, stories, art... I kinda hope they believe what they write down, and are explaining the person they are by their songs. I know I have songs I've created and hate, although I know they are decent songs, they just don't fit anymore, like they may have described a part of me in the past, but I was wrong, or I've learned something better, and I don't want to associate my name with it anymore.

Probably one of the wisest sayings I ever heard about musicians and their music is this: To a musician, there is always a way to make the piece better, it's whether the musician decides to let it go, or make it a work in progress. Thus like life, the song is never finished. There will always be a part of a song you hate. And that's alright. Why do you think that Schubert's Symphony is Unfinished? Why Tchaikovsky hated his Nutcracker Theme? Thought it was a waste of time. The whole ballet. Why did Mozart make an almost impossible Aria for a soprano to sing?

Although I don't expect to be one of the greats, I can understand the frustrations of life, through my music, no matter how much I love a piece, and think at one point it is the best, and hate it with a passion later. It shows that I grow. And without that growth, I am nothing.

Wow, that was heavy.

No comments: