Friday, September 02, 2005

Running and thinking, thinking and running.

I was thinking a great many things today while I ran. Anything from my brother to where to put an apostrophe. Great, meaning that I was thinking a lot, not exactly the quality of thoughts or anything. Just quantity. Something to keep my mind off of running, and off of thinking how I should talk myself into quitting.

My brother works the morning shift at Marathon here in town. So usually while he is getting ready for work, I'm getting up to run, sometimes I leave earlier, sometimes he's early, it works out, being we've done this for years now.

So I get to the end of the driveway this morning and Jeff is pulling out in his car. Now I know he's going to have some smart comment as he leaves the driveway, it's just common courtesy for our family. So knowing full well I'm going to run, he asks, "Want a ride?" Ha-ha I say back. Although I must confess I seriously thought about it and had him drop me off at the Alward corner so I only had half a journey. In other words, Cheat. Now that's no way to exercise and have benefits. I mean come on.

As I rounded the Loomis corner, I thought I saw a car parked at the next corner (a mile down) with it's hazard lights on, and started thinking of reasons why, the worst being an accident. So I started to ask myself questions that I would ask (checking for clear responses, keep them thinking of things other than pain, until the ambulance came.) Then I started to think what I would say to those questions, got up to the corner, and no one was there. Oh well. No ambulance rides today.

It got me thinking if what I thought was right, for my own reasons or God's reasons. Most of the time what I thought, was for my own reasons, and I thought of ways to support those reasons with God.

Then I thought, what if my reasons aren't God's reasons. Like I prefer a certain person in office, but if I hate another in office, how can I think that the person I prefer to be in God's will and the person I hate, not? I mean they are both in office, and if I can say God must have a reason for them being in there, wouldn't that same reasoning apply to the person I rather not have there? It got me thinking about my so called "facts" on who I think is right for the job, and why God thinks that they are right for the job.

That took me most of the way home.

No comments: