Sunday, June 19, 2005

Grandpa Cole

Happy Fathers Day for all those fathers or hopeful fathers.

We met up with my brother and sister in law last night. It was fun. I don't think we had a lull in conversation the whole night. And I was so tired after we left, I'm surprised that I didn't pass out in the car on the way home.

Of course, we are all talkers. Really. Josh and his brother especially. Must be in the genes.

Josh got a grilling master shirt and hat for fathers day, and is currently wearing it in preparation of our fathers day BBQ. I snuck out at the right time, so I could relax for a little before his parents come and we'll have another large talking session. Only I won't be the one talking, it's very hard to get in a word. Usually after we are done with socializing Josh and I discuss how much we talked and either should have shut up, or if it was one of those fill the void times. Josh tends to talk a lot, I just stand there, listening to the same stories over and over again. Josh is just like his Grandpa Cole in that respect.

I liked Grandpa Cole. He always had something to say and he was never dull even in his last days before his death. He was one of those people who sat on the front porch and talked to the passerbys. Something I really want to do when I get older. The people passing by would always stop to talk, and even when he couldn't be outside on the porch, people would stop and ring the doorbell to ask how he was doing. He used to volunteer at the St. Vincent's De Paul (which is a catholic organized resale shop). His wife still goes down there to work a shift. He had an odd amount of different jobs, that each had a story to go with it. You wonder why people like him went first, I can't help to think the old adage about God taking the people who are too good for this world first. Sometimes it seems like it. It's weird to think he's been gone for 5 1/2 years.

So as a tribute to Fathers Day, thanks Grandpa for being an inspiration for my life. What an awesome person.

No comments: