Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Blockades

It takes me a little bit to get inspired to write music. Sometimes it's a song, or some sound I hear, they way I want to express how I feel... But when it comes to lyrics, you might as well toss it out the window. I may be Moses, but I am sure no David, or any psalmist for that matter. Putting my words into verse or some format that gives it meaning, yeah, I'm lost.

I've been starting to get the itch to go on a music making spree though, I've been getting ideas and its a matter of time and everything. It's not a writers block, it's a song block. I can harmonize til the cows come home, but harmonies don't get me a song. Or a cow.

And I'm not sure what you'd call my kind of music. I'm going to have to get off my butt and record it mp3 wise. I've got it on paper. To tell you the truth, I've been having a lot of luck on the piano, I updated one of my songs. It's funny how you get in a rut, and suddenly something happens in your life, and it's like that blockade is lifted. Isn't that the way it is with everything? Sometimes you just get stuck. My life is full of these stuck positions. I've noticed though, if you realize and move on with your life, around your blockades, it works out for the better. It does for me. No matter how I push and pull, it's like a closed door. Maybe I'm just stubborn, I try so hard to do my best, that the door gets slammed in my face. Not the way to go. There is a better way.

Usually when a door is stuck, I get so frustrated, because I want to make things happen. Like my music, I want to someday listen to some of it played by a real full orchestra (it's on my computer, not the same sound). I want to perform it in front of an audience, and have it affect people, like it does me. But it's just one of those close doors. I'm waiting for the day that the door opens up for me again. And who knows, maybe it won't. I've come to terms with believing in God to make dreams happen, and if that isn't in His will, that's okay too. I'm not living this life for me, I'm living it for Him. I'm going to be happy whether I achieve my earthly goals or not.

2 comments:

Dan Price said...

btw, I need your contact info, so I can hear you play celllo sometime.

Mel said...

I want to give you fair warning, however. Cello just isn't a solo instrument, it's rather raw and abrasive. I think it's best when it's accompanied.