Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Flaws and Weaknesses

As soon as I posted yesterday, it was like a huge load lifted off my shoulders. I almost took the post off, just because I was almost afraid of showing my weakness. Then I thought, no, I am human, so I'm bound to have tons of weaknesses.

So why not have the blog today be on flaws and weaknesses.

Crazy enough, I'm terribly handy. I can usually look at something, and fix it within minutes. I've fixed vcrs, and put in kitchen faucets, figured out what was wrong with cars, and found workable ways to organize almost anything. I used to think my music teacher was one of the greatest people alive. As I got older I realized that he was holding me back. He didn't like that a "woman" was a composer, that I could fix any instrument put in front of me, and I loved to play and try new things. No, he refused to put me in quartets because of who I was. I wasn't the best, but I certainly wasn't the worst. I started my own cello quartet, who made it to states and won. Instead, he helped a boy that failed out of college, who thought he was such a musician, and didn't have the dedication to see it through. What a waste of time! How many people like me had he held back, that could have been someone big? And I know if I had any fame what-so-ever, he would have claimed it was all his teaching and was 100% behind me. In fact, when we won states, he walked up to the judge and said, I have 15 more cello players just as good or better than these in my school system. It's so funny how people puff themselves up, so that they will appear better than what they are.

So my weaknesses? I kept standing up to him, even though I didn't realize he was trying to belittle everything I did. And today, I am free. I know there is more than what others think of you. I can accomplish great things through my weaknesses, I see the results in my kids each day. So am I nothing? Not to my kids. Not to my husband. And definately not to God.

No comments: