Friday, March 11, 2005

Intimacy? From Mel's Point of view.

You know I get most of my thoughts for these blogs just from normal life, but before I start to write I look at a couple of websites, email and so on. Today I happen to be reading Dan's site, and since you can't leave a post for some obscure reason, I decided, what the heck, make a topic of it.

He was reading Christianity today and you can read for yourself what he said, here.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I think people are going to express their Christianity in every way they possibly can. Some people are super outgoing, and are going to express it that way, for an example, as bubbly and always thinking of how God is working for them and telling others of what they noticed. The more reserved one are taking it like a private session to talk with God and maybe share the more interesting parts.

It is true that people who think they are "spiritual" are usually the ones that end up giving up on God, but take a look at the bottom of the page on Noels site called Legalism, everyone has to figure out how their Christianity works out.

Being intimate with God, no, its not a mystical thing, its the interworkings of how you got through life and that God has been there for you. It's more the relationship effects, prayer, and how you live your life, which is what I think Eugene Peterson was getting at in a extremely opinionated but different way.

I know certainly in my relationship with God, I don't get the "warm fuzzies" whenever I talk to him, but I become humbled when I do go to Him in serious prayer. The rest of my prayer is pretty sporadic. Quite honestly, in Mr. Petterson's article, is it really the right way to approach people by lying to them about faith? And about modern churches, most people aren't going to understand and believe by putting on a robe, that this humbles you for communion. I think it's a mindset. And unfortunately, a very poor example of Christian living. I can understand his way of thinking that modern churches are fluff, but no matter what church you are in, (which is what he was getting at somewhat, he was contradictory) you can praise God wholeheartedly. Most people would prefer an environment they are comfortable in, to praise God.

Luckily we can make these decisions in our life, as to how to be with God. Sure, intimacy isn't some superficial, lets boast to others what my "faith" does for me, kind of thing.

It's more a side note, a benefit from seeking God and His wisdom.

And quite frankly, because you lean on Him, the rest of your life makes sense as well. Maybe we shouldn't be so focused on this idea of intimacy, let it come naturally, and I think you'll find the longer you believe in God, the more the blessing of it will come. But hey, what do I know?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think one great parallell to this discussion on "spirituality" that was touched on, but not really explored is marriage. God often uses analogies of the church as our bride, suggesting that our relationship to it is much like marriage. Just as a marriage cannot work if you are not comfortable with your spouse, your relationship with God through the church cannot work if you are not comfortable with where you are worshiping and how.
marriage in our society today also parallels society's view on marriage. People are all too often looking for the "love high", "true love", cloud nine floaty feeling that doesn't last. In reality, the love in a marriage grows over time -- I love my wife far more now than I ever thought possible when we first got married. And I thought I loved her as much as I could any person then! But it is not always an "in love" feeling. Just like our relationship with God, most of it is comprised of changing diapers, working, making dinner - mundane everday things. I tend to treasure these everyday moments greatly, but my wife just thinks I'm overly sentimental. Despite the bulk of marriage, or our relationship with God being "ordinary" - it still, over time, leads to moments of great joy and pleasure that cannot be equaled in some "reality TV" form of instant gratification. The dedication and perseverance behind it make the moment all the greater - becuase the Joy is not just of the moment, but of the entire journey leading up to it. This is true love and spirituality.

Dan Price said...

I can totally agree with everything you guys both just said. I only really liked the part of the article that I posted on my site. I think that many people are feeling dissatisfied with God because they don't always have those "warm fuzzies" and they have misplaced that to mean "spirituality." When really if they were to follow God, pray, love people etc... That is really what spritituality is about. At the same time, if we really believe this stuff, our souls should well up with response to God's love. We should be passionate people! Instead of pulling back and making our faith too personal, it should flow out of us naturally as a response to God's initiation....

Also, I don't have any idea of what that guy was talking about with the Robe thing. Could you picture Noel with one of those?

Mel said...

The robe thing...in his religion, its a symbol of purity, when taking communion. It's like having your head covered, a physical way to show you are humbling yourself to God. His son basicly felt naked without it, unable to approach God. And I felt sorry for him, that he thought he had to do this ritual to feel whole. God accepts you for who you are, there is more going on in this mans life than he lets on.

Although I think Noel would be pretty rockin in a robe!

I also agree people expect so much out of religion when it's an everyday walk. Yeah, you do get pretty pumped when you see something happen that you've been praying about. And the feeling you get when your praising God is awesome, irreplacable. However, it is foolish to believe that these feelings are a constant in a Christians' life. What a lie that would be. We are human too.

My sister is really out there. But that is how she expresses her love for God. Her walk is more emotional, because that is who she is. She can't help it. I think it is different for everyone unfortunally, and I wish there was a sure guideline that everyone can follow so they don't get wrapped up in "being spiritual." Funny enough we were just talking about this today. I always remember the pharisees in Jesus' time, how they were so religious they forgot the real reason they were there. They too were wrapped up in ritual and laws, and didn't have a clue as to a real walk with God is like. I would have liked to have said, ask Mary, she knew. I remind myself every so often, how much I don't want to be like them, and usually that sets me straight again. How's that for an anti-role-model.

Mel said...

I just thought of something else, as you grow, you do get passionate each day. And that is going to show naturally anyways, I don't think there is much you can do to hide it. Not that it's a bad thing.....