Thursday, March 03, 2005

I love Catholics.

I am in great remorse today. Please pray for our music director Dan Price, and his family. His father has cancer and isn't doing well. I don't have details and I don't know the family well, but God has laid it on my heart to pray. God is funny like that sometimes.

As my husband walked out the door today, he called out, "Maybe we should call my brother and his wife up to go to church with us. You are great at converting people." I looked at him and teased, "You wait, I'll get you baptized yet." "I've been baptized twice!""You need a third."

Catholism teaches that you are reaffirming your baptism, when you go through confirmation. Thus called confirmation. This is Josh's second baptism. My third is to get him saved. Although he understands the fundamentals, he can't seem to let go of the catholic way of being saved. If I had said, You wait, I'll get you saved yet, he'd been totally offended. Each day he is taking one step closer to rocking his world, (ie Christ as his personal savior) and he understands better than I do about loving your neighbor and forgiveness.

However, I question him. Me? Converting people? Out of the "true faith?" I'll have to admit I know quite a bit about catholism, I made a study of it before I got married so I knew what I was getting into. But my niche is converting Catholics? Not all Catholics are bad. They are headed in the right direction. I think you have a higher turn over rate. People want a religion, but they don't want to live it in their daily lives. They'd rather atone for it on Sunday, and call themselves religious. Protestant churches have a way of living it out in your life, although I know there are plenty of neutral Christians here. I think most converts would agree that they "woke up" one day and realized their faith wasn't growing. I see it happening in most Catholic churches.

I love Catholics. There are a lot of things Catholics got going for them. They hear the word of God, they learn how to pray, they have a deep sense of need for going to church. These are great foundations. It was funny, we took my brother in law and his wife to church one week. Afterwards, my brother in law said, yeah sometimes we go protestant.... I had to laugh. In all of their lives, they had been taught to go to a Catholic church faithfully, it was considered a sin if they didn't attend mass. And here he admits to "going protestant." Like it's some dirty secret. And it is. To Catholics.

Here is a good example of people who attend church, (or claim to attend church) to warm the pew, say a couple of prayers and be atoned until next week. And today, Josh says to call them up to ask them to attend church with us again. To "go protestant." So I can convert them. Maybe this is yet another fight with God I will have and lose. God always wins, and like a little child I can't help but say....

It's not fair.

No comments: