Thursday, March 10, 2005

Talking sessions

Yesterday, I felt successful. I got a lot accomplished, and even Josh noticed that everything was clean and sparkling. Usually there are toys spattered everywhere, the dishes in a pile, (even if I had done several loads throughout the day) and whatever artwork Laurel has concocted is strewn all over grandma's bedroom floor. Yesterday, I was able to set Laurel up with the microphone on the computer and she must of talked for a good 2 hours. I think she likes the sound of her voice, and she never tires of it.

So I got a ton done, that means this morning will be a breeze. Because everything is fresh and nothing needs to be done immediately. Sip on my cup of tea and enjoy the sunrise. Okay I don't drink tea, or coffee...sip on my jug of Gatorade and.....

Yeah anyways, last night Josh and I got a talking session in. We talked until midnight (that's late for us, I usually go to bed at 9 or 10) and it wasn't our usual banter. Every once in a while it's nice to have adult conversation, without mention of the kids. Actually it's very nice. Sometimes you wonder if the kids are all you have in common, my husband and I are two totally different people. Black and white. He talks your ear off, I listen. He does everything right and ridged, I taught him how to be somewhat spontaneous. He relies on knowledge to get him through situations, I toss it to the wind. He BS's really well, I can't make up things to say to save my life.

So these talking sessions are really helpful. We get all of our opposite ways and refine them down, so we aren't offending each other. One of my sore spots are his parents and how they put their daughter on a pedestal. So he knows to avoid that, unless he really wants to fight. He can't stand the kids when they don't want to go to bed and scream out in defiance and end up waking another sister. Not that it doesn't annoy me, but it just sets him on edge. We all have quirky little things in our lives and marriages.

Lucky for us, our main structure in our marriage is communication. What is really cool is talking about the people and things we pray for each day, and how it affects our lives. Josh is starting to really get into this praying craze. And God has been listening, not that I doubted that. But it's been really neat to see God working in his life. Josh is a pretty earnest person, I think God takes him much more seriously than any prayer I could have ever had. Maybe there is this male bonding thing going on, I don't know, I tend to think of God more male anyways. Not that it really matters, just if you haven't noticed, guys think differently than girls. There are always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part. I haven't met a guy as crazy as me yet, and I doubt there is someone who is so morally upstanding as my husband that is a woman. Besides would I really want a male me? Yeah, thank goodness God gave me what I have, so I can enjoy those opposing qualities that I don't find in myself.

You know I was reading the last proverb, from Noels site, proverb 31, and he said something that I disagreed with. I don't think that the picture depicted of the woman is too high. I've seen it in action. Remember I told you about the woman that I used to work for, who was a pastor's wife? She was a spitting image of this woman. Strict, got everything done, and was wise beyond belief. I can see a lot of qualities even in myself that I've always liked, I think it gives us hope. If you try to be wise, you will be able to do so much more, because you are capable. Course there is a catch, you have to seek wisdom. But look at all she can do! God will give you all time in the world to accomplish anything, if you are a God fearing, wisdom seeking person. Kinda awesome, don't you think?

No comments: