Friday, April 08, 2005

My pathetic attempt at poetry

I talked to an old friend of mine yesterday. He was in the same orchestra as I was in high school. And now he subs for the Midland Symphony Orchestra and is going into music education at CMU. I think that is so cool. He always was first chair (no comparison) and although not the most popular guy, I loved to talk to him before class. Maybe that was why I always talked to him, the popular guys weren't safe, they went out of their way to humiliate or torture poor girls like me. He was always doing something different and interesting. How lucky he was to have such opportunities. I would have died to have half the opportunities he did.

My sister-in-law wrote a really awesome poem, and I would post it here, but I keep forgetting to ask for permission. So if a really good poem shows up here, you'll know it wasn't me, it was probably my sister-in-law. But here is the reason I never became a poet....

One little girl came out to the park one day
And all the other children also came out to play
Although she wanted to stay
All she could do was run away

There was no doubt this girl was shy
But she gave up long ago, and started to cry
All she wanted was to play near by
But to say she was bold would be a lie

It happened that some saw her go
And in a second they chased after her so
While she was sitting there with her head hung low
Surprised that they wanted to play, how could she say no?

She got up and put her head up high
No more tears, no more pity, no more sighs
With time she could match the look in the other kids eyes
No remorse, no more pain lost to her cries

Now that is my story of the little girl who spread wings to soar
And the shy little girl she was no more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the poem. its good and i like the rhyme.