Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Procrastination

I was pretty irritated yesterday. I hate procrastinators. The last minute people. I know I've fallen victim to this "disease" but it still irriates me when it happens. It's like you want to shake that person and say, get a grip, who do you think you are? Is all you ever think about is yourself? My husband does this (not so often anymore) and this is when I start to nag him.

I don't even know why this bothers me so much. Maybe it's because people plan things last minute and if I actually want to go, I have scramble around to get a babysitter. So not only am I putting myself out because I want to go, and can't, but if I do go, I'm putting out the babysitter who had been planning on sitting at home and enjoying the evening. Which is usually my mom or Josh's parents, and I don't want to get on their bad side.

Procrastination shows so much about a person. If you don't believe me, look at our house. We have tons of lost projects that had been lost to procrastination. So our house isn't big enough to store our "projects." Like our eves, mom took them down to be painted last fall. Great huh? She got them painted. But then winter set in, and she didn't put them up, or she asked Josh to and they didn't get put up. Either way, we had ice all down our driveway, because there was no eves to catch the ex-snow, and it dripped until we had a suicide patches of ice.

What else does it show? Selfishness. Usually, the procrastinator doesn't bother with it until it is due. And they are busy with other things that take priority in their lives. Now stop for a minute, sometimes there are things that should be first in your life. If you make a to-do list today, and then you put it in order of what glorifies God, I think you'd have 2 totally different lists. Not that the procrastinator makes lists most times.....

Laziness, it just bugs me. I like my day to relax. But I don't relax at the expense of others. I always check to make sure my girls are set for the next hour, and see if Josh is okay to take care of anything that pops up, then I go to relax.

Man of their word. How many things have gone by because procrastinators can't get to them all last minute? This is extremely important. Trust comes from this, loyalty comes from this, balance comes from this. Balance, you say? You begin to figure out what you say yes to and what you say no to. Taking too much on is a sign of a true procrastinator. You keep falling farther behind, until people give up asking and you have nothing. Then you'll wonder, what did I do to deserve this? And you'll keep wondering.

Now is the time for a reality check. Is this the kind of person you want to be? Not me. I don't want to feel hurried in my life, because I let everything go for a few minutes of fun. Then when reality hits, I have too much on my plate. That isn't fair to my friends or my family. I want to do my family justice. I want to be honorable. I want to be true. I seem to remember a lot of verses about procrastination, especially in Proverbs. Look it up. I think you'll find the wise planner is the better way to go. And you won't have to worry about who you put out. You begin to run a more efficient lifestyle. Although life is never easy, you'll find it is more peaceful and that shows. I'd much rather show my peacefulness than my selfishness. Hands down.

No comments: